Pages

Saturday 22 October 2011

Poundshop hits & misses!!

After popping into my local Poundland for a can of diet coke a few months back I found that they had quite a collection of branded make up, they had Maybelline, Rimmel, Revlon and lots more. Ever since then I often go in to take a look what they have as they tend to have new bits added regularly. 

To be fair a lot of it you can tell is just tat that no one else could sell so Poundland probably bought it for next to nothing, BUT I have found a few gems hidden in amongst the junk. Some of which I absolutely love :-)


Here is some of my Poundland collection split up into categories
From L-R Almay powder, NYC Chroma face flow in sunstone and moon stone, Covergirl clean make up foundation and WetnWild beauty benefits fresh effects foundation

From L-R Maybelline Lash Stiletto, Collection 2000 volume sensation, MEMEME drama queen, Collection 2000 Magi-Length, Rimmel Glam eyes, Rimmel 1-2-3 looks and Maybelline define a lash

From L-R Vital Radiance eye mousse, Revlon Eyespy shadow, Rimmel eyeshadow trio, Rimmel stir it up eyeshadow and prestige duo eyeshadow

From L-R Fake bake lipglosses, Sally Hansen plumping glosses, MEMEME glosses, Maybelline gloss, Rimmel Gloss, Ulta lipstick, Vital Radiance lipsticks, Revlon lipsticks, Rimmel lip liners, Vital Radiance liners.

So we have face products, mascaras, eyeshadows and lip products.

They do have quite a large selection of face products such as powders, liquid foundation and blushers but due to me having very sensitive skin I have to be really careful about what I put on my face so very rarely try anything other than products I have used before and know don't irritate my skin.

Some of the items above are amazing, some are ok and some are just pants! I'm only going to go through the really good items that I would recommend and the terrible items that I would avoid like the plague.
I'm going to start off with the "avoid at all costs" items.

5th place goes to Covergirl clean make up foundation. Its a glass bottle that you have to pour the product out of which I hate and I find it hard to control how much product you are wanting as its quite thin and runny. It didn't really do anything to the look of my skin although it did make me look quite oily within a couple of hours.I wont use this product again or recommend it to anyone else.

4th place goes to Rimmels 1-2-3 looks mascara, this mascara is adjustable  for how long and thick you want your lashes, for me it was just 1 for clumpy, 2 for really clump and 3 for the clumpiest damn eyelashes you have ever seen.  Never again!

3rd place goes to Rimmel Royal Gloss in cookie, theres actually nothing wrong with this gloss really, it goes on nicely, its not sticky and lasts a decent amount of time. The reason this one is coming in at number 3 on the misses list is because the smell and the taste is absolutely vomitocious!!!! I assume its supposed to smell like cookies but it doesn't smell like cookies to me. It just smells like sweet sickly vomit. I can't actually put this on my lips without gagging. I would buy these glosses again depending on the smell apart from cookie *gag*

2nd place goes to Revlons Vital Radiance lipsticks, not much to say about these really. I found them to be quite drying and didn't go on the lips very well. Considering they are aimed at the maturer lady I would have thought they would have been alot more moisturising. These were actually 3 for £1, I wont be purchasing any more of these

1st place goes to WetnWild Beauty Benefits Fresh Effects mineral foundation. When I first purchased this foundation I was really excited to try it out and as soon as I got home from shopping I took my make up off and gave it a go. I was really surprised by the coverage it covered any redness and blemishes on my face and gave me a wonderful glow, I was made up, a great powder foundation that made my skin look wonderfully healthy for £1 what more could you want. It was so good I actually popped back into town 2 days later and picked up another 3, what a bargain a years worth of foundation for £4, you can't beat that, well thats what I thought until the damn thing brought me out in an almighty rash. Oh my gosh it was awful it was on my chin, my cheeks and my forehead., it was so frickin itchy and my skin felt tight and really uncomfortable. Obviously I stopped using it immediately and made sure I was washing my face with my dead sea soap morning and night and after about 2 days it cleared up. I haven't used the foundation since and the rash hasn't come back so i'm pretty sure that this foundation was the culprit!

Okie dokie so onto my top 5 hits from Poundland, these are products that I love and would be happy to purchase for the full RRP

5th place goes to NYC Chroma Glows, I absolutely adore both of these, I think my favourite out of the two is the moonstone which is the pink one with the purple marble effect, it gives a gorgeous highlight to my cheeks with a lovely pink flushed look. It isn't that pigmented but it is buildable, although I just swirl my brush a couple of times pop it over the apples of my cheeks and i'm happy with the effect this gives. From what I have read this is discontinued so I have picked up a few back ups if I see any more I will be grabbing them before they go. I love them


4th place goes to MEMEME light me up lipglosses. These are lovely, I have 2 of the clear and 1 of the pink, they have a minty taste, they are not sticky at all and last for quite some time. They also have a light in the lid, I find this a bit gimmicky and as of yet it has never come in handy but you never know, I suppose its nice to have it there in case.


3rd place goes to Vital Radiance eye mousse. These little mousses were 2 for £1 and they're great. its a really light colour  but I just put a light layer over my eyelid if I feel like going very natural and it gives a lovely sheen and doesn't crease. I think there are a few products in this range which are not too bad so its worth a look.


2nd place goes to Art Deco Nails, although I don't have a picture posted above there is a post about my top 10 products which these are featured in. I love these for doing designs on my nails and if I could find them in a shop for their full RRP (which I would imagine is more than £1) I would be happy to buy them.


1st place goes to the Maybelline Lash Stiletto mascara. I love love love this mascara, I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it, i'm not usually a fan of Maybelline but this mascara is wonderful it doesn't clump and makes my lashes look longer and thicker. It doesn't flake or crumble and although it isn't a waterproof mascara it doesn't run if you get caught in rain with no umbrella....I would know. I also went shopping after buying this and found the exact same one in another shop for £8.15 so £1 seems a bargain to me for a mascara that is rather fandabbydozy!!!


Hope you enjoyed my review on these products, if you have picked up any gems at Poundland I would love to know or even if you have picked up the same items as me let me know :-)


Thanks for reading


Lots of Love CF x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment